Contents on 1 January '11
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- eight observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- nothing to report
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 388 risk-listed objects, 350 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1621 UTC on 1 Jan.
- Earth's Busy Neighborhood Traffic Report
Two objects are known to be within ten LD of Earth today. Updated at 1805 UTC on 1 Jan.
- Ephemerides for risk-rated and nearby objects
- News image catalog
- Old & new CRT Archive
- Old News Archive & Small Objects Archive
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. And use the all-up news archive to access news from any time since A/CC began in early 2002. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
NEOCP Activity on 1 January '11
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 5 listings: 5 new
When last checked at 2359 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had five new listings. Of these, four were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of seven listings on the NEOCP at some point today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 1 January '11
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2359 UTC, there have been three MPECs posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- MPEC 2011-A01 time-stamped "07:10 UT" - Daily Orbit Update - see below
- MPEC 2011-A02 time-stamped "09:39 UT" - 2010 YC1 - see below
- MPEC 2011-A03 time-stamped "15:19 UT" - 2007 TR65
MPEC 2011-A03 - "15:19 UT" - 2007 TR65
- K07T65R 2007 TR65 (i=43.5°, H=18.8 ~589m) from WISE (Dec. 28.22p1, 28.62p2, 28.75p1, 28.82p1, 29.02p1, 29.21p1, 29.28p2, 29.35p1, 29.48p1, 29.68p1, 29.74p1, 29.81p1 & 29.94p2)
MPEC 2011-A02 - "09:39 UT" - 2010 YC1
- K10Y01C 2010 YC1 (H=20.7 ~245m) from WISE (Dec. 21.62p1, 21.75p1, 21.88p1, 22.01p1, 22.08p1, 22.15p1, 22.21p1, 22.28p1, 22.48p1, 22.61p1, 22.74p1 & 28.16p1) and David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea (Dec. 31.65-66p2)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K10T54Q 2010 TQ54 (arc=82 days, H=24.4 ~45m) from Tholen team/Mauna Kea (Dec. 31.42-43p3 at R=22.7-9)
- Observations of almost-small asteroids (21.7<H<=22.0)
- K10Y00S 2010 YS (arc=2 days, H=22.0 ~135m) from LINEAR (Dec. 31.40-45p5)
- Observations of other objects
- K10Y00H 2010 YH (arc=5 days, H=19.9 ~355m) from Frasso Sabino Obs. (Dec. 28.88-89p3) and LINEAR (Dec. 31.23-27p4)
- K10Y00B 2010 YB (arc=15 days, H=20.6 ~257m) from LINEAR (Dec. 31.40-46p5)
- K10X58X 2010 XX58 (q=0.297 AU, Q=4.160 AU, arc=18 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from Frasso Sabino Obs. (Dec. 28.89p2) and Klet Obs. (Dec. 30.85-86p5)
- K10X10O 2010 XO10 (arc=26 days, H=20.4 ~282m) from Frasso Sabino Obs. (Dec. 28.90-91p2)
- K10W08P 2010 WP8 (arc=2 opp, H=18.3 ~741m) from Hormersdorf Obs. (Dec. 29.80p3)
- K10W07Q 2010 WQ7 (arc=33 days, H=18.1 ~812m) from Frasso Sabino Obs. (Dec. 28.82-83p3) and Klet Obs. (Dec. 30.80-81p4)
- K10S13D 2010 SD13 (Q=4.304 AU, arc=94 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from Klet Obs. (Dec. 30.74-75p6)
- K10L86F 2010 LF86 (arc=202 days, H=17.2 ~1.23 km) from Klet Obs. (Dec. 30.79p5)
- K10J33L 2010 JL33 (Q=4.634 AU, arc=4 opp, H=17.7 ~977m) from Kiev Comet Station (Dec. 20.80-88p20)
- K03B21A 2003 BA21 (q=0.184 AU, arc=5 opp, H=19.1 ~513m) from LINEAR (Dec. 31.47-53p5)
- K01Y01F 2001 YF1 (arc=3 opp, H=19.2 ~490m) from Frasso Sabino Obs. (Dec. 28.84-86p2)
- K00A06C 2000 AC6 (arc=4 opp, H=21.5 ~170m) from Hormersdorf Obs. (Dec. 29.81p4)
- O7156 247156 2000 YH29 from LINEAR (Dec. 31.34-40p5)
- E3381 143381 2003 BC21 from the SZTE Asteroid Program (Dec. 30.68-72p7)
- 34613 34613 2000 UR13 from LINEAR (Dec. 31.34-39p5)
- 03554 3554 Amun (1986 EB) from LINEAR (Dec. 31.48-53p5)
Observers on 1 January '11
Eight observers appear in today's MPECs.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|157||Frasso Sabino Obs. in Italy, 5 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 2010 YH, 2010 XX58, 2010 XO10, 2010 WQ7, 2001 YF1|
|A35||Hormersdorf Obs. in Germany, 2 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 2010 WP8, 2000 AC6|
|585||Kiev Comet Station in the Ukraine, 1 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 2010 JL33|
|046||Klet Obs. in the Czech Republic, 4 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 2010 XX58, 2010 WQ7, 2010 SD13, 2010 LF86|
|704||LINEAR in New Mexico, 7 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 2010 YS, 2010 YH, 2010 YB, 2003 BA21, 34613, 247156, 3554|
|5682||David Tholen's team on Mauna Kea in Hawaii, 2 in MPECs 2011-A01 & 2011-A02 -- 2010 YC1, 2010 TQ54|
|461||SZTE Asteroid Program in Hungary, 1 in MPEC 2011-A01 -- 143381|
|C51||WISE in Earth polar orbit, 2 in MPECs 2011-A02 & 2011-A03 -- 2010 YC1, 2007 TR65|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 1 January '11
At last check (NEODyS and JPL at 2359 UTC) there was no risk monitoring news to report yet today. Visit the CRT to view activity in the last four weeks and our ephemerides page for a complete list of risk-rated objects under current observation or having recent news.