Contents on 4 December '17
- Traffic Report -- three objects
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Observers -- seven observers
- Impact Risk Monitoring -- one object
Asteroid/Comet Connection (A/CC) Resources:
- Consolidated Risk Tables - the CRT page
Of 889 risk-listed objects, 47 have had news in the last 31 days. Updated at 1630 UTC on 4 Dec.
- Ephemerides for risk-listed objects & close passers
- News archive (old) & news image catalog (discontinued)
- Object Links - mainly for radar targets & close passers (mostly discontinued)
- Observing Campaigns (old)
Navigation tips: Use the << and >> arrows on the menus for each regular section (Observers, Risks, etc.) to move to the previous and next day's news for that section. Use the Index menu item to access specific days through a calendar interface. To keep track of what's new each day, watch the Chronology section.
Traffic Report on 4 December '17
Three objects reported inside ten LD
There are three asteroidal objects reported inside ten lunar distances (LD) of Earth today. Nearest is 2008 WM61, outbound from 3.99 to 4.51 LD.
|Earth passage||I D||~Size||Distance Today||Notes|
|3.67 LD Dec. 2||2008 WM61||15 m||3.99 to 4.51 LD||NHATS target|
|3.72 LD Nov. 29||2017 WF16||6 m||5.83 to 6.56 LD||NHATS target|
|9.45 LD tomorrow||2017 WS13||40 m||9.56 from 10.25 LD||enters ten LD|
|Approaching (sorted by 10-LD bubble entry date)|
|3.35 LD Dec. 14||2006 XY||54 m||< 10 LD tomorrow, NHATS target|
|3.44 LD Dec. 9||2017 WV12||24 m||< 10 LD tomorrow|
|9.71 LD Dec. 14||2015 XX169||11 m||< 10 LD Dec. 12, NHATS target|
|3.8 LD Dec. 17||2017 VT14||100 m||< 10 LD Dec. 13, uncertainty +/- 40 mins., radar target, risk, comet nucleus?|
|7.6 LD Dec. 24||2017 WZ14||31 m||< 10 LD Dec. 18, uncertainty +/- 54 mins., radar/NHATS target|
|3.7 LD Feb. 24||2017 DR109||10 m||< 10 LD Feb. 18, uncertainty +/- 30 mins., NHATS target|
|3.7 LD March 7||2017 VR12||268 m||< 10 LD Feb. 28, uncertainty +/- 1.2667 hours, radar/NHATS target|
This report was generated at 1742 UTC with follow-up in today's DOU MPEC for departed 2017 VC.
Note: JPL has six objects lined up for radar observation this month, but needs further optical follow-up for 2017 QL33 and especially for 2017 WZ14, 2017 WX12, and 2017 VT14, which speculation has as a possible small inactive comet nucleus.
Notes: Ten times the distance to the Moon (ten LD) has no astronomical importance but is a useful boundary for reporting about transient natural objects that approach our planet's gravitational sphere of influence (SOI), which has a radius of about 2.41 LD from Earth's center. This puts a focus on some of the most important and very best NEO observation work, representative of the much larger NEO discovery and tracking effort. Object temporal distances are derived by A/CC from JPL Horizons data. See also current sky chart and object details (alt-details), ephemerides, and today's timeline.
NEOCP Activity on 4 December '17
The MPC's NEO Confirmation Page has 37 listings
When last checked at 2358 UTC today, the Minor Planet Center's Near Earth Object discovery Confirmation Page (NEOCP) had 37 objects listed. Of these, twelve were "one nighters." So far The Tracking News has counted a total of 40 listings on the NEOCP today.
To learn how observers use the NEOCP, see the Practical guide on how to observe NEOCP object at Suno Observatory by Birtwhistle et al.
New MPECs on 4 December '17
Minor Planet Electronic Circulars
As of last check at 2358 UTC, there has been one MPEC posted today from the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Observations of risk-listed objects
- K17V13W 2017 VW13 (arc=17 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station (Nov. 30.77-81p3)
- Observations of close-passing objects
- K17V00C 2017 VC (arc=29 days, H=23.2 ~78m) from Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield (Dec. 1.35p3)
- Observations of small asteroids (H>22.0)
- K17W15H 2017 WH15 (arc=7 days, H=23.2 ~78m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.23-24p3)
- K17W01P 2017 WP1 (arc=13 days, H=24.5 ~43m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.38-39p4)
- Observations of other objects
- K17W13V 2017 WV13 (arc=10 days, H=21.1 ~204m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.17-18p3)
- K17W02G 2017 WG2 (arc=13 days, H=20.0 ~339m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.28-29p3)
- K17W01L 2017 WL1 (i=44.4°, arc=14 days, H=20.9 ~224m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.26-27p5)
- K17V14U 2017 VU14 (Q=4.630 AU, arc=17 days, H=18.5 ~676m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.41-42p5)
- K17V01K 2017 VK1 (Q=4.353 AU, arc=22 days, H=20.7 ~245m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.33-34p3)
- K17U42Z 2017 UZ42 (i=37.8°, Q=4.200 AU, arc=35 days, H=18.8 ~589m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.03-04p2)
- K17U04Z 2017 UZ4 (Q=4.395 AU, arc=39 days, H=19.6 ~407m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.32p3)
- K17S19S 2017 SS19 (Q=4.155 AU, arc=66 days, H=19.1 ~513m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.06-07p3)
- K17S17O 2017 SO17 (Q=4.199 AU, arc=67 days, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.40-41p6)
- K17N06L 2017 NL6 (Q=4.371 AU, arc=2 opp, H=18.9 ~562m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.36-37p3)
- K14Y15P 2014 YP15 (arc=2 opp, H=19.8 ~371m) from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.43-45p3 at V=21.7-22.1)
- K14J31C 2014 JC31 (i=36.9°, Q=4.096 AU, arc=2 opp, H=19.0 ~537m) from Lumezzane Obs. (Nov. 27.98-99p3)
- K01J01V 2001 JV1 (arc=2 opp, H=21.4 ~178m) from UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up 2.24m Telescope (2010 Nov. 1.54p1 at G=23.2)
- o5178 505178 2012 TV78 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.13-14p6)
- n6861 496861 2000 BE19 from Xuyi Sta. (Nov. 30.82-86p3)
- l5967 475967 2007 JF22 from ATLAS Mauna Loa (Dec. 3.60-66p5)
- l1956 471956 2013 SC25 from Pan-STARRS 1 (PS1) (Dec. 4.22-26p4)
- X8176 338176 2002 RC118 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.05p3)
- L0012 210012 2006 KT1 from Lumezzane Obs. (Nov. 28.02p2)
- H7255 177255 2003 WC25 from Xuyi Sta. (Nov. 30.72-76p2)
- F4589 154589 2003 MX2 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.04-05p6)
- 87684 87684 2000 SY2 from MASTER-II Sutherland (Dec. 3.04-07p3)
- 85818 85818 1998 XM4 from ARO Westfield (Dec. 1.08-09p2)
- 10165 10165 1995 BL2 from Xuyi Sta. (Nov. 30.77-80p3)
Observers on 4 December '17
Seven observers appear in today's MPEC.
|Code||Observer / observatory|
|H21||Astronomical Research Obs. Westfield in Illinois, 18 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 2017 WV13, 2017 WP1, 2017 WL1, 2017 WH15, 2017 WG2, 2017 VU14, 2017 VK1, 2017 VC, 2017 UZ42, 2017 UZ4, 2017 SS19, 2017 SO17, 2017 NL6, 2014 YP15, 85818, 505178, 338176, 154589|
|T08||ATLAS Mauna Loa in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 475967|
|130||Lumezzane Obs. in Italy, 2 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 2014 JC31, 210012|
|K95||MASTER-II Sutherland in South Africa, 1 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 87684|
|F51||Pan-STARRS 1 in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 471956|
|D29||Purple Mtn. Obs. Xuyi Station in China, 4 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 2017 VW13, 496861, 177255, 10165|
|T12||UH/Tholen NEO Follow-Up 2.24m Telescope in Hawaii, 1 in MPEC 2017-X10 -- 2001 JV1|
|For a list of all participating observatories that have Web addresses, see A/CC's Observatory Links page.|
Impact Risk Monitoring on 4 December '17
Notes for Today's Latest Risk Assessments
|2017 VW13||JPL Sentry||1630||2097-2097||1||3.821e-07||-4.55||-4.55||0||JPL: Computed at 07:51 today Pacific time based on 138 observations spanning 17.166 days (2017-Nov-13.64011 to 2017-Nov-30.80635). Diameter approximately 0.250 km. from weighted mean H=20.62.|
|NEODyS||1630||2097||2||3.98e-07||-4.52||-4.54||0||NEODyS: "Based on 138 optical observations (of which 6 are rejected as outliers) from 2017-11-13.641 to 2017-11-30.807."|
An impact solution, also known as a "virtual impactor" (VI), is not a prediction but rather a possibility derived from a variant orbit calculation that cannot be eliminated yet based on the existing data. Elimination can come quickly with just a little further observation or may take weeks or months, sometimes years. Once superceded or eliminated, a former impact solution has zero relevance to an object's risk. See Jon Giorgini's "Understanding Risk Pages" to learn more.
Chronology on 4 December '17
Times are UTC for when items were noted or added by The Tracking News.
|1742||Generated Traffic Report|
|1630||Noted that JPL Sentry has updated its 2017 VW13 risk assessment - see above|
Noted that NEODyS has updated its 2017 VW13 risk assessment - see above
Grabbed MPEC 2017-X10 - Daily Orbit Update - see above